A Short History of Camp Runoia
1906 – Lucy Weiser and Jessie Pond scout locations for Camp Runoia and land in Belgrade, Maine.
1907 – Camp Runoia opens on the Northeastern side of Hatch Cove on Great Pond with 7 campers, a cook and Miss Weiser and Miss Pond
1914 – Miss Weiser secured the land known as the Wentworth Farm on the Southwestern shore of Great Pond.
1915 – in the winter, the first camp building was hauled across the ice of Great Pond to establish the camp kitchen on the new property
1915 – in the summer, campers arrived to camp on the present site of Camp Runoia for the first summer
1916 – new buildings were erected on the property including an addition to the kitchen and cabins 1, 2 and 3
1917 – The Runoia Lodge was built
1918 – Camp Runoia operates throughout World War 1
1939-1945 – Camp carries on during World War 2 albeit a difficult time to get supplies and food. Campers helped to farm and build at camp to support their summer camp experience1952 – Betty and Phil Cobb met each other at Phil’s grandfather’s camp, Camp Wyonegonic, Denmark, Maine
1953 – Betty and Phil Cobb married and that summer visited over 50 camps in New England searching for a camp for sale.
1954 – Betty and Phil worked with Lucy Weiser for the summer and bought Runoia at the end of the season.
1991 – Pam Cobb bought Runoia from her parents, Phil and Betty Cobb
2012 – The Tabell Family Foundation donated a gift to scan and preserve the Runoia Logs!
2013 – the 60th summer Runoia has been owned and operated by the Cobb Family
2016 – will be the 110th anniversary summer of Camp Runoia!