Camp Runoia’s tagline is ‘building lifelong skills’ and we have sure done a lot of that over our past weeks of camp. It has been amazing to see our campers confidently engaging in all aspects of camp life. They have made the most of new opportunities, developed skills and deepened their friendships.
There have been so many Fine Maine Days to play and learn in.
We are so grateful to have had this time together on Great Pond.
Our camp bubble has been a safe and loving place to be ourselves and build community with a diverse group of people.
Some of our transferable life skills:
- Managing our own belongings
- Getting places on time with the right clothing and equipment
- Resolving conflicts and disappointments
- Making healthy food choices
- Working towards a goal
- Navigating all kinds of relationships with all ages of people
- Better communication skills
- Being rewarded for consistent good practice
- Building grit and resiliency
- Practicing to gain better skill mastery
- Being a role model
- Learning to advocate for ourselves in a positive way
- Getting better at cleaning
- Knowing what we like or don’t like
- Being able to say ‘no thanks’
- Finding space in a busy day for quiet time and reflection
- Getting restorative sleep
- Making choices for ourselves
- Being flexible and adaptable
- Following a schedule
- Being leaders
- Taking care of our personal care
- Taking safe risks
We hope that when everyone gets home the difference will be noticeable, not only that we may have grown a little taller but also that we stand taller. We are a little bolder, better organized and more engaged in how we move through our own lives.
Camp is the best place to grow and we are so glad that everyone of all ages had the opportunity to do so this summer in a safe and fun place. Camp Runoia stays with us as we move home and back to school.